At St Thomas' CE Primary Academy we have a team of highly effective Learning Mentors. They are: Miss Ilic (Lead Learning Mentor) and Mrs Mulliss. They work alongside the children, families and staff of the school to ensure all children have an equal opportunity to succeed and do well at school.
Main duties of the Learning Mentor Team
- Identify pupils and their families who may need additional support
- Work with families to develop plans to improve outcomes of vulnerable pupils.
- Work with families to improve pupil attendance
- Develop interventions to support pupils with Social, Emotional or mental health difficulties.
- Deliver interventions as advised by professionals such as Educational Psychologist.
- Work with a range of agencies such as Social Workers in order to support vulnerable pupils
- Signpost families to other agencies who may be able to offer support
- Work with our SENDCo to put together a range of evidence to support referrals to the Community Paediatrician or an application for an Education, Health and Care plan
- Run Breakfast Club for Vulnerable Pupils to improve attendance, complete homework, have intervention in a targeted area of difficulty or to have a positive start to the day.
- Train and support Playground leaders and Year 6 Club leaders.
- Support pupils new to our Academy.
- De-escalate behaviour issues within the classroom.
- Meet and Greet with vulnerable pupils in order to prepare them for the day ahead.
- When necessary, support pupils within the classroom.
- Support at break and lunchtimes for vulnerable pupils.
- Support pupils to ensure there is a smooth transition through different phases of their education.
The Learning Mentor Team deliver a range of interventions to remove barriers to learning and improve emotional wellbeing.
- Social skills
- Anger management
- Grief and Loss
- Body image
- Self esteem
- Attention and Listening
- Team Building
- Parental Separation
- Selective Mutism
- Solution focused approach
- Sensory Circuits
- Interventions to develop speaking and vocabulary
- Interventions to develop phonics, Reading and maths
Our Learning Mentors are highly trained and have received extensive training in a range of areas including:
Children and YP with Harmful Sexual Behaviour
Parental Mental Health
Understanding Mental Health
Awareness of DV and Abuse
Mental Health Promotion
Introduction to counselling skills
Psychology of Behaviour
Awareness of child abuse and neglect – Refresher
2 day inter agency safeguarding
FGM Forced Marriage and Honour based violence
Safeguarding children from Sexual Exploitation
Safeguarding Train the Trainer
Understanding pathways to extremism & prevent
Diploma in Child and Adolescent Counselling
Self-harm and suicidal thoughts in children and yp
Safeguarding and Leadership
Westminster Safeguarding Briefing
Safeguarding Audit Training
NAS Tier 1 Autism Training
Team Teach positive handling & de-escalation training
Trafficking Exploitation and Modern Slavery
NAS Tier 2 Autism training
Early Help and TAC
Restorative Practice Training
Inclusion in Practice
Briefing for DSL
Relationships and Sex Education
Voice of the child through words and pictures
Mental health first aid
Healthy Minds Emotional Wellbeing